September 12, 2015
Dear NGBA Members:
The NGBA board has been working on your behalf since we were notified of the land claim.
Thank you to all who attended the open houses and who have sent letters and questions to the MAA and others.
Your opinions and objections are needed. Keep sending letters!
The Following Has Been Accomplished:
- Co-ordinating our efforts with the GBA through meetings, conference calls and email
- Contacted partners who will also be affected by the land claim
- Established communication with the Municipality of Killarney to support them
- Distributed hundreds of flyers to Chikanishing Creek, in Killarney and at Outfitter Stores through the GTA
- Engaged The Star and The Globe and Mail
- Attended all open houses
- Attended a meeting hosted by the GBA at the offices of the Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs with the senior negotiator, Richard Aniol and his staff for further fact finding
- Hired the Toronto law firm Faskens, in particular a lawyer who specializes in the issues facing our association in this claim. They will initially do research into where we should be focusing our attention
- Developed a “Review of Documents” to assist our lawyer
- The GBA has also hired a lawyer to deal with the broader range of issues facing all associations
Next Steps You Can Expect to Learn More About:
- Set up a trust fund through our law firm for monies collected to pay the legal fees
- Get the full GBA member associations on board (GBA Board Mtg. Sept 15 will be a start)
- Send the NGBA position letter (already prepared) to the MAA after input from our lawyer
- Possibly meet again with the Richard Aniol to continue fact finding
- Continue to use your help engaging in the Save Georgian Bay Islands Facebook page set up by a fellow member
- Develop a list of “impacts/grievances” and potential solutions
- Possibly meet with Chief Peltier
- Contact Cottage Life Magazine to do a story in their first issue of 2016
Write your letter now! Send it now! October 2nd is around the corner.
We have not been successful in extending this date for public input.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with your questions, suggestions and concerns.